Great Budget Travel Hacks for 2023 and Beyond
Traveling on a budget doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice comfort or miss out on amazing experiences. With the right strategies and hacks, you can make the most of your travel adventures while keeping your expenses in check. Just in time for the summer travel season, here are some of the best budget travel hacks for 2023 (and beyond):
- Flexible travel dates: Be flexible with your travel dates to take advantage of the best deals. Use fare comparison websites or flight aggregator apps that allow you to search for the cheapest days to fly. Flying on weekdays or during off-peak seasons can often result in significant savings.
- Use budget airlines: Consider flying with budget airlines that offer lower fares compared to major carriers. While they may have fewer amenities and charge for extras, the cost savings can be substantial. Just be sure to carefully read the baggage policies and any additional fees to avoid surprises.
- Travel light: Pack only the essentials and aim to travel with a carry-on bag to avoid checked baggage fees. This not only saves you money but also allows for quicker check-ins and eliminates the risk of lost luggage. Opt for versatile clothing that can be mixed and matched, and pack travel-sized toiletries to save space.
- Utilize alternative accommodations: Consider staying in budget-friendly accommodations such as hostels, guesthouses, or homestays. These options are often significantly cheaper than hotels and can provide unique cultural experiences. Websites and apps like Airbnb, Hostelworld, and Couchsurfing can help you find affordable and interesting places to stay.
- Cook your meals: Eating out for every meal can quickly add up. To save money, shop at local markets or grocery stores and prepare some of your meals yourself. Even if you’re staying in a hotel, many have mini-fridges or kitchenettes where you can store and cook simple meals or snacks.
- Use public transportation: Public transportation, such as buses or trains, is usually cheaper than taxis or rental cars. We love to hop on a bus or metro train in new cities because this allows us to experience local cultures first-hand. Plus, we often discover hidden gems when taking public transportation. Research the public transportation options at your destination and plan your routes in advance. Consider getting a transportation pass or card that offers unlimited rides for a fixed period, which can save you money if you’ll be using public transportation frequently.
- Take advantage of free activities and attractions: Research free attractions, parks, museums with free admission days, or cultural events happening during your visit. Many destinations have beautiful parks, historical sites, and public art that you can enjoy without spending a dime. Look for local festivals or events that offer a taste of the local culture without breaking the bank.
- Use travel rewards and loyalty programs: Sign up for travel rewards programs and take advantage of loyalty programs offered by airlines, hotels, and rental car companies. Accumulate points or miles through your everyday spending or by using specific credit cards that offer travel rewards. These points can be redeemed for free flights, hotel stays, or other travel perks.
- Connect with locals and fellow travelers: Locals can provide valuable insights and tips on affordable places to eat, shop, or visit. Engage with locals through social media groups, travel forums, or language exchange platforms. Additionally, connecting with fellow travelers can lead to shared expenses or split costs for transportation and accommodation.
- Use travel apps and websites: Make use of travel apps and websites that offer discounts, deals, and promotions for flights, accommodations, activities, and more. Examples include Skyscanner, Kayak, Google Flights, Booking.com, and TripAdvisor. Additionally, consider using apps like Splitwise to easily split expenses with travel companions.
Remember, budget travel is all about making smart choices and being flexible. By incorporating these travel hacks into your planning, you can explore the world without breaking the bank. Enjoy your adventures and make unforgettable memories while staying within your budget!
Find Your Budget Accommodations Now
Use the interactive map to search for, compare, find and book your accommodation at the best price!
Tonya Fitzpatrick, Esq. is co-Founder of World Footprints, a social impact travel storytelling content hub she runs with her husband, Ian, that has been recognized as Best Social Impact Travel Media Company by CEO Monthly. She is an award-winning travel and business journalist, global public speaker, and 3-time TEDx speaker. Tonya regularly shares her insights on career transitions, DEIA in travel and the transformative power of travel to audiences all over the world. Recognized as Black Travel Journalists of the Year—an honor she shares with Ian, Tonya contributes her time and leadership to several boards and commissions in the travel community including SATW, The Explorers Club (DC), North American Travel Journalists Association (NATJA) and JourneyWoman. Tonya recently was been appointed to the Maryland Tourism Development Board by Gov. Wes Moore.