Multiple Cruise Lines Scramble To Change Itineraries After Cuba Travel Ban
When the Trump Administration announced new travel restrictions to Cuba, it effectively barred cruise ships from going to the country. And, a day after the announcement, cruise lines stopped offering the service. With passenger ships no longer permitted to go to the island, cruise ships had to be quickly rerouted.
For example, Carnival Cruise Line redirected its June 3 sail to Cozumel, Mexico. It was originally set for Havana. The company said they understood Havana’s unique destination might have been the reason for the travel, but it was giving out $100 onboard credit to its customers in their Sail & Sign Account.
Carnival is working to make guests who have yet to leave aware of the changes to their itineraries. Passengers have different options to choose from:
Agree to the changes and get a $100 onboard credit per person.
Switch to another travel itinerary and get a $50 onboard credit per person.
Cancel and get a refund.
The company is working hard and quickly to secure other itineraries for the rest of the Cuba trips and will have more information in the coming days.
Royal Caribbean said it was also providing other itineraries for its Cuba trips. According to the company, ships for June 5 and 6 sailings had been rerouted and had notified guests of the change.
Norwegian Cruise Line said it was monitoring the Cuba travel restrictions and talking with guests and travel partners when more information is available.
MSC Cruises said its MSC Armonia line had been rerouted and that all its U.S. cruises were no longer permitted to go to Cuba.
The World Brief was written by contributor Susan Powell exclusively for World Footprints.